Projects per year
My research broadly centres on the processes and mechanisms that drive adult attachment. Briefly, on the basis of information abstracted from consistent and long-term attachment relationships, individuals develop mental models of attachment, or attachment styles. A key feature of attachment styles is that they predictor how individuals respond to threat and deal with stress and distress. Much of my research over the years has been concerned with the way that attachment styles and attachment-relevant hormones influence thought, behaviour and feelings in interpersonal relationships and social life more generally. In recent years, one line of my research has focused on the relationship between attachment styles and mental health. While insecure attachment styles represent a vulnerability for the development and maintenance of ill mental health, secure attachment acts as a buffer against its development. Across a number of studies we find that the experimental enhancement of attachment security has many positive personal and interpersonal outcomes, including positive effects on mental health.
Some grant funding:
- British Academy research grant (£4,959). “Selective attention to attachment threatening stimuli as a function of attachment style” (2003). Principal Investigator.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Grant (RES-062-23-0052, £359,815) in collaboration with Ian Penton-Voak and Casimir Ludwig “Adult attachment and the perceptual processing of facial expressions of emotion” (2006). Principal Investigator.
- British Academy research grant (SG – 43494 for £6059) in collaboration with Marcus Munafò “Attentional training and attachment anxiety in adults” (2006). Principal Investigator.
- Nuffield Foundation grant (SGS/33904, £7,494) with Kathy Carnelley. “Adult Attachment and the Inhibition of Dispositional and Primed-Style-Incongruent Information” (2007). Principal Investigator.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Post-Doctoral Fellowship with Abigail Millings. “Adult attachment, partner caregiving, and parenting”. (RES). (2008).
- The Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship for Ruta Marcinkeviciute (in collaboration with Robbie Cooper): “The perceptual integration of facial signals from eye gaze and emotional expression: a test of two hypotheses”. (2008).
- The Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship for Izumi Kurokawa: Physical separation from primary attachment figures and emotional self-reliance: Attachment styles in Boarders versus day pupils at a British boarding school”. (2009).
- The Leverhulme Trust research grant (f/00 180/AL, £85, 859) in collaboration with Katherine Carnelley (Principle Investigator), Erica Hepper and Rich Gramzow “Symbolic closeness to attachment networks: Roles of stress and imposed closeness”(2010).
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 7 Finished
20/03/17 → 31/08/17
Investigation of Attachment Orientation, and Affect Regulation: Use of a Novel Affect Regulation Mapping Tool in Japanese AthletesKobori, O., Sawamiya, Y., Yoshinaga, N., Rowe, A. C. M. & Wilkinson, L. L., 27 Nov 2020, (E-pub ahead of print) In: PSYCHOLOGIA. 62, 1, p. 63-76
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile24 Downloads (Pure)
The effectiveness of attachment security priming in improving positive affect and reducing negative affect: A systematic reviewRowe, A. C. M., Gold, E. R. & Carnelley, K. B., 4 Feb 2020, In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17, 3, 23 p., 968.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile12 Citations (Scopus)111 Downloads (Pure)
A preliminary exploration of the links between attachment disorganisation and schizotypy dimensions in adulthoodShearman, N., Millings, A., Carroll, D. & Rowe, A., 1 Jun 2019, In: Schizophrenia Research. 208, p. 493-495 3 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Letter (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)161 Downloads (Pure)