Projects per year
I am a Senior Lecturer and Natural Environment Research Council Independent Research Fellow at the University of Bristol. I work on several areas of greenhouse gas emissions estimation. My research focuses on understanding the composition of the atmosphere, including greenhouse gases and ozone depleting substances. I am interested in finding new ways to understand how sources and sinks of these trace gases vary from different systems and regions. I use both measurements and models to derive this understanding.
Some of my interests include:
- understanding why methane concentrations in the atmosphere exhibit large year-to-year changes, using data from surface, aircraft and satellite platforms, and incorporating information from isotopologues and other tracers
- understanding emissions of halocarbons from key regions of the world such as India
- using atmospheric measurements to investigate questions about biogeochemical processes, such as nitrous oxide emissions from the coastal ocean
- developing novel inverse modeling strategies and advancing methods for uncertainty quantification in this approach
- conducting measurement programs to collect data from critical source regions in the world
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Cabot Institute Environmental Change Research
A pilot programme to measure the South Asian outflow of ozone depleting substances and greenhouse gases
31/12/20 → 30/12/22
Highlight topics 2018: UK GHG evaluation: 'Detection and Attribution of Regional greenhouse gas Emissions in the UK (DARE-UK)'
1/04/19 → 31/03/23
Western, L. M., Saito, T., Redington, A., Henne, S., Fang, X., Prinn, R. G., Manning, A. J., Montzka, S. A., Fraser, P. J., Ganesan, A. L., Harth, C. M., Kim, J., Krummel, P. B., Liang, Q., Mühle, J., O'Doherty, S., Park, H., Park, M-K., Reimann, S. & 3 others, , 10 Feb 2021, In: Nature. 590, 7846, p. 433-437 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-review3 Citations (Scopus)
Rigby, M., Ganesan, A. L., Prinn, R. G., Manning, A. J., Mühle, J., Salameh, P. K., Krummel, P. B., Fraser, P. J., Steele, L. P., Mitrevski, B., Weiss, R. F., Harth, C. M., Wang, R. H., O'Doherty, S., Young, D., Park, S., Li, S., Yao, B., Reimann, S. & 4 others, , 16 May 2021, In: Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 126, 9, e2020JD034327.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-review
Bayesian spatiotemporal inference of trace gas emissions using an integrated nested Laplacian approximation and Gaussian Markov random fieldsWestern, L. M., Sha, Z., Rigby, M., Ganesan, A., Manning, A. J., Stanley, K. M., O'Doherty, S., Young, T. D. S. & Rougier, J., 28 Apr 2020, In: Geoscientific Model Development. 13, p. 2095–2107 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile82 Downloads (Pure)
Research Fellowship - South Asian methane emissions, inferred from surface, aircraft and satellite observations
Anita Ganesan (Recipient)1 Jan 2015 → 1 Jan 2020
Activity: Other activity types › Fellowship awarded competitively