Projects per year
I specialize in the application of trajectory optimization to problems in aerospace. Examples of recent work include:
- autonomous exploration of a cluttered environment by an Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV)
- fuel-efficient rendezvous of spacecraft for Mars Sample Return mission
- robust air traffic flow management
This technologies involved include:
- non-convex optimization for avoidance constraints, such as obstacle avoidance or air traffic separation
- robust model predictive control, applying optimization in real time to compensate for disturbances and other uncertainty
- distributed optimization and control, enabling cooperation across large teams of vehicles
In all of the work, the challenges are to find solutions that are:
- high performance, e.g. handling high levels of air traffic or using minimal fuel
- robust, able to work in uncertain environments or even without a map at all
- scalable, able to extend to very large numbers of vehicles
- fast, using efficient algorithms to respond quickly to new information
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Smart Networks for Sustainable Futures
Wilson, R. E., Johnson, A., Bullock, S., Lawry, J., Richards, A. G., Noyes, J. M., Hauert, S., Bode, N. W. F., Wilson, R. E., Pitonakova, L., Kent, T., Crosscombe, M., Zanatto, D., Alkan, B., Drury, K. L., Hogg, E., Bonnell, W. D., Bennett, C. D., Clarke, C. E. M., Wisetjindawat, W., Potts, M. W., Ellinas, C., Sartor, P. N., Harvey, D., Rayneau-Kirkhope, B., Galvin, K., Lam, J., Barden, E. & Chattington, M.
1/10/17 → 30/09/22
Connor, K. & Richards, A. G.
2/03/20 → 26/06/20
Kent, T., Richards, A. G., Pipe, T., Hutchinson, J. & Schuster, W., 23 Jun 2020, In : Automation. p. 17-32 16 p., 2.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open AccessFile33 Downloads (Pure)
Bewley, T., Lawry, J. & Richards, A. G., 4 Sep 2020, (Accepted/In press).
Research output: Contribution to conference › Conference Paper
Li, M. H. L., Richards, A. G. (ed.) & Sooriyabandara, M. (ed.), 2020. 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Conference Paper › peer-reviewOpen Access