Projects per year
I specialize in the application of trajectory optimization to problems in aerospace. Examples of recent work include:
- autonomous exploration of a cluttered environment by an Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV)
- fuel-efficient rendezvous of spacecraft for Mars Sample Return mission
- robust air traffic flow management
This technologies involved include:
- non-convex optimization for avoidance constraints, such as obstacle avoidance or air traffic separation
- robust model predictive control, applying optimization in real time to compensate for disturbances and other uncertainty
- distributed optimization and control, enabling cooperation across large teams of vehicles
In all of the work, the challenges are to find solutions that are:
- high performance, e.g. handling high levels of air traffic or using minimal fuel
- robust, able to work in uncertain environments or even without a map at all
- scalable, able to extend to very large numbers of vehicles
- fast, using efficient algorithms to respond quickly to new information
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Smart Networks for Sustainable Futures
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Richards, A. G., Wilson, R. E., Johnson, A., Bullock, S., Lawry, J., Noyes, J. M., Hauert, S., Bode, N. W. F., Pitonakova, L., Kent, T., Crosscombe, M., Zanatto, D., Alkan, B., Drury, K. L., Hogg, E., Bonnell, W. D., Bennett, C., Clarke, C. E. M., Potts, M. W., Sartor, P. N., Harvey, D., Rayneau-Kirkhope, B., Galvin, K., Lam, J., Barden, E., Chattington, M., Radanovic, M., Morey, E. J., Ball, M., Hunt, E. R., Richards, A. G., Radanovic, M., Morey, E. J., Steane, V., Reed Edworthy, J. & Hart, S. G.
1/10/17 → 31/03/23
Connor, K. & Richards, A. G.
2/03/20 → 26/06/20
Academic and Industrial Partnerships in the Research and Development of Hybrid Autonomous Systems: Challenges, Tools and MethodsBarden, E., Crosscombe, M., Galvin, K., Harding, C., Johnson, A., Kent, T., Richards, A. G. & Zanatto, D., 2 Apr 2022, Modelling and Simulation for Autonomous Systems - 8th International Conference, MESAS 2021, Revised Selected Papers. Mazal, J., Fagiolini, A., Vasik, P., Turi, M., Bruzzone, A., Pickl, S., Neumann, V. & Stodola, P. (eds.). Springer, p. 478-493 16 p. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 13207 LNCS).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter in a book
Starling: Containerisation Architecture for Scalable Local Development, Deployment and Testing of Multi-UAV SystemsLi, M. H. L., Clarke, R. J. & Richards, A. G., 1 Jul 2022. 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Conference Abstract › peer-reviewOpen Access
Use of deterministic AI and a multi-user virtual test environment for drone inspection mission safetyGoudarzi, H., Marsh, C., Richards, A. G., Crowther, W. & Parslew, B., 2022, p. 24. 25 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Conference Paper › peer-reviewOpen Access
21 Oct 2022
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Public talk, debate, discussionFile
R E Wilson (Organiser), Katie L Drury (Organiser), Jan M Noyes (Speaker), Seth Bullock (Chair), Arthur G Richards (Participant), Jonathan Lawry (Chair), Sophie Hart (Participant), Emily J Morey (Participant), Chris Bennett (Participant) & Elliott Hogg (Participant)28 Jun 2022 → 30 Jun 2022
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference
Arthur G Richards (Speaker) & Matthew Ball (Contributor)1 Sep 2021
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Stakeholder engagement