Projects per year
I am a member of the Electrical Energy Management Research Group and the Digital Health Engineering Group. I am interested in exploiting new energy sources and the efficient management of power from these sources. My research lies at the interface of power electronics, microelectronics, and radiofrequency engineering. Current projects include power electronics using emerging GaN and SiC power devices, where high-speed active gate driving of these has been shown to increase efficiency and reduce electromagnetic emissions (EMI), and where advances in sensing are required. Micro-renewables and wireless power transfer to medical sensors present interesting challenges for power electronics due to the variability in the power and in some cases the ultra low power levels. We have developed sensor-driven electronics, nanopower computing circuits, and power electronics with sub-µW loss.
I have worked on many collaborations with industry and other universities and am keen to continue these and to establish new links.
Current Research Projects
- 2018 - 2022: SiC and GaN power electronics, and the electromagetic quietening of power waveforms. This work is supported by this EPSRC grant.
- 2017 -2020: Reliability, Condition Monitoring and Health Management Technologies for WBG Power Modules. This work is supported by this EPSRC grant.
- 2013 - 2018: SPHERE: A Sensor Platform for Healthcare in a Residential Environment. This work is supported by this EPSRC grant.
Past Research Projects
- 2013 - 2018: High-speed active gate driving. This work was supported by these EPSRC grants: PQ, CPE.
- 2016 - 2017: Commercialisation of an ultra-low-power detector IC. This was funded through an EPSRC Impact Acceleration Award.
- 2013 - 2017: Electronics that stays alive in variable, intermittent, low-power environments. This work was supported by this EPSRC grant.
- 2013 - 2014: Scaling up of low-head pico hydropower generation system. This work was funded through an EPSRC Acceleration Award.
- 2010 - 2013: Intelligent connectivity, scalability and modularity of remote pico hydropower plant. PhD student: Sam Williamson. This work was supported by Renishaw.
- 2010 - 2013: Next Generation Energy-Harvesting Electronics - holistic approach, see project website. PhD student: Plamen Proynov. This work was supported by this EPSRC grant.
- 2009 - 2012: Miniature energy harvesting in extreme environments. PhD student: Gyorgy Szarka. This work was funded by Schlumberger and GWR.
- 2009 - 2012: Design of inverters for energy conversion, research into the relationship between design and radiation (EMI). PhD student: Niall Oswald. This work was funded by EPSRC and Control Techniques Ltd.
- 2009 - 2010: Modelling and design of a low-head axial flow turbine generation system.
- 2007 - 2008: Design and scaling of remote multi-source renewable generation plant. This work was funded by EPSRC and Power Oasis.
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Cabot Institute Low Carbon Energy Research
- Cabot Institute Natural Hazards and Disasters Research
- Cabot Institute Environmental Change Research
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
17/06/18 → 16/06/23
Craddock, I. J., Coyle, D. T., Flach, P. A., Kaleshi, D., Mirmehdi, M., Piechocki, R. J., Stark, B. H., Ascione, R., Ashburn, A. M., Burnett, M. E., Damen, D., Gooberman-Hill, R., Harwin, W. S., Hilton, G., Holderbaum, W., Holley, A. P., Manchester, V. A., Meller, B. J., Stack, E. & Gilchrist, I. D.
1/10/13 → 30/09/18
Project: Research, Parent
Crosstalk Induced Shoot-Through in BTI-Stressed Symmetrical & Asymmetrical Double-Trench SiC Power MOSFETsYang, J., Jahdi, S., Stark, B. H., Alatise, O., Ortiz Gonzalez, J., Wu, R. & Mellor, P. H., 22 Mar 2022, In: IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society. 3, p. 188-202 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Analysis of the 1st and 3rd Quadrant Transients of Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Double-Trench SiC Power MOSFETsYang, J., Jahdi, S., Stark, B., Alatise, O., Ortiz Gonzalez, J. A. & Mellor, P., 3 May 2021, In: IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics. 2, p. 265-276 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile15 Downloads (Pure)
Impact of temperature and switching rate on forward and reverse conduction of GaN and SiC cascode devices: A technology evaluationGunaydin, Y., Jahdi, S., Alatise, O., Gonzalez, J. O., Hedayati, M., Stark, B., Yang, J., Yuan, X. & Mellor, P., 22 Sep 2021, The 10th International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2020). Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), p. 782-787 6 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference Contribution (Conference Proceeding)Open AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)