Projects per year
I lead a multi-disciplinary materials chemistry research group, exploring novel functional materials for sustainable energy applications.
There is a strong focus on the design, synthesis and application of functional (supramolecular) polymeric systems. Specifically, redox-active conjugated microporous polymers (CMPs) are developed for CO2 capture and conversion to fuels and feedstocks. The production of functional polymer systems for biocompatible artificial soft actuators is a new an emerging area of research.
- Preparation of porous conjugated materials for CO2 capture and conversion and related environmental and energy applications [Adv. Mater. 2023, Mater. Chem. Front. 2023, Chem. Electrochem. 2023, ACS Appl. Polym. Mater. 2023, Polym. Chem., 2021, Nano Energy 2021, J. Mater. Chem A 2020, Chem. Mater. 2020, Angew. Chem. 2019]
- Design, preparation and characterisation of hierarchical functional supramolecular materials [Nat. Commun. 2022, J. Mater. Chem. C 2022, Chem. Eur. J. 2022, Macromolecules 2021, ACS Macro Letters 2020, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2020, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2019]
- Development of novel functional materials for 3D printing flexible actuators and devices [Soft Robotics 2023, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2023, Adv. Mater. Tech. 2019, Sci. Rep. 2017]
Local and International Activities:
I am currently University Enterprise Fellow, enabling me to pursue commercialisation of research from my laboratories. I am also Faculty International Director (since April 2021), and have responsibility for all international activities, partnerships and interactions for the Faculty of Science.
I am co-PI of the Bristol Centre for Functional Nanomaterials (BCFN), a £12M EPSRC-sponsored centre for doctoral training (CDT), and member of the management team of the Technology Enhanced Chemical Synthesis CDT. I was Head of Inorganic and Materials Chemistry at the School of Chemistry for 5 years (August 2018 - July 2023).
I am a member of the International Advisory Board for the State Key Laboratory for Modification of Chemical Fibers & Polymer Materials' at Donghua University, Shanghai, China (since 2018). I held an adjunct professorship at Tsinghua University (Beijing, China, since 2013), and have held visiting professorships at Helsinki University of Technology (now Aalto University, 2005 - 2010), Chinese Academy of Sciences' National Centre for Nanoscience and Technology (2012), and the University of Rennes1 (2018).
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Cabot Institute Low Carbon Energy Research
- functional materials
- conjugated microporous polymers
- CO2 capture & conversion
- electroactive materials
- conducting organic materials
- 3D printing
- hierarchical materials
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
31/03/19 → 31/03/23
1/02/18 → 31/01/20
Symons, H. E., Hagemann, M. J. L., Harniman, R. L. & Faul, C. F. J., 24 Jan 2022, In: Journal of Materials Chemistry C. 10, 7, p. 2828-2837 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen Access2 Citations (Scopus)
Exploiting Hansen Solubility Parameters to Tune Porosity and Function in Conjugated Microporous PolymersChen, J., Qui, T., Yan, W. & Faul, C. F. J., 21 Nov 2020, In: Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 8, p. 22657 – 22665
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile30 Citations (Scopus)80 Downloads (Pure)
Chen, J., Yan, W., Townsend, E., Feng, J., Pan, L., Del Angel Hernandez, V. & Faul, C. FJ., 19 Aug 2019, In: Angewandte Chemie - International Edition. 58, 34, p. 11715-11719 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile95 Citations (Scopus)211 Downloads (Pure)