Projects per year
The main focus of my research currently is on the following:
- The application of digital technology (particularly social computing and mobile technology) to engage communities around environmental and social sustainability.
- The role of gamification techniques and social norm theories in such engagement (and, more broadly, in crowdsourcing and citizen science), and the analysis of the interaction between competitive and contributional motivations of participants.
- Environmental impact of digital technology, and more broadly consumer electronic goods. Particularly the understanding of user behaviour and how this affects such impacts. The role of interface design on influencing user behaviour with regard to environmental impacts.
- Life Cycle Assessment techniques applied to end-to-end digital products and services. Representation of uncertainty within such analyses, particularly with regard to user choices and behaviour in the system.
My secondary interests are:
- The integration of life cycle analysis and carbon footprinting techniques into broader systemic models of sustainability impact.
- Agent-based simulation of socio-economic systems, particularly those with environmental implications, (For example, tragedy-of-the-commons problems) and exploration of the impact of alternative social and economic interventions in such systems.
- The role of computer technology within the wider socio-technical systems emerging to address climate change and other sustainability issues.
- The interplay between technology innovation, business models and sustainability impacts, particularly in the commercial publishing industry.
Structured keywords and research groupings
- International Development
- Cabot Institute City Futures Research
- Cabot Institute Low Carbon Energy Research
1/01/20 → 31/03/20
Cater, K. F., Jay, M. & Preist, C. W., 27 Apr 2013, Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2013. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), p. 371-380 10 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference Contribution (Conference Proceeding)91 Citations (Scopus)
Preist, C. W., 27 Apr 2013, Proceeding CHI EA '13 CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), p. 1449-1454 6 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference Contribution (Conference Proceeding)File1 Citation (Scopus)261 Downloads (Pure)
Schien, D., Shabajee, P., Yearworth, M. & Preist, C. W., 2013, (In preparation).
Research output: Working paper › Working paper and PreprintsFile235 Downloads (Pure)