Projects per year
Bacterial infections of the respiratory tract which lead to localised or disseminated disease are a considerable health and financial burden globally. Our research focuses on understanding the interplay between bacteria (mainly colonisers of the respiratory tract) and their human host during colonisation and progression of disease. By understanding key mechanisms used by bacteria to interact with human cells and tissues therapeutic targets can be identified.
- Molecular basis of receptor targeting by mucosal pathogens which colonise the human nasopharynx and oropharynx. Principally studies focus on Neisseria meningitidis, Moraxella catarrhalis and Haemophilus influenzae.
- Interactions of Neisseria meningitidis with serum components.
- Epithelial cell responses to neisserial infection.
- Bacterial interplay during adhesion to human respiratory epithelia.
- Structure and function analyses of Moraxella catarrhalis surface proteins.
- Bacterial-stem cell interactions in osteomyelitis.
- Professor Neil Williams (CMM)
- Professor Adam Finn (Institute of Child Health Bristol/CMM)
- Professor Leo Brady (Biochemistry, University of Bristol)
- Professor Charles Serhan (Harvard Medical School)
- Dr Wael Kafienah (CMM)
- Dr Eric Lafontaine (University of Georgia)
- Dr Dave Dymock (Oral and Dental Sciences, University of Bristol)
- Dr Nathan Zaccai (Biochemistry, University of Bristol)
- Dr Richard Sessions (Biochemistry, University of Bristol)
Identification of integrative and conjugative elements in pathogenic and commensal Neisseriaceae spp. via genomic distributions of DNA uptake sequence dialectsHughes-Games, A., Roberts, A., Davis, S. A. & Hill, D. J., 4 May 2020, In : Microbial Genomics. 6, 5, 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open AccessFile23 Downloads (Pure)
Agent-based modelling study of antimicrobial resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae transmission in men who have sex with men: towards individualised diagnosis and treatmentZienkiewicz, A., Verschueren van Rees, N., Homer, M., Ong, J., Christensen, H., Hill, D., Looker, K., Horner, P. J., Hughes, G. & Turner, K., 3 Sep 2019, In : Sexual Health. 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)117 Downloads (Pure)
Magalhaes, P., 1 Apr 2019, In : Journal of High Energy Physics.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open Access1 Citation (Scopus)