Projects per year
My research and teaching activities focus on improving the way we use data analysis and mathematical modelling for hydrology and water engineering applications. Currently my two key research interests are the use of simulation and optimisation methods to support decision-making, particularly for water resource management; and the quantification and attribution of uncertainty in mathematical models, and in particular models used for natural hazard assessment. More information on my work on uncertainty propagation in models, including access to the open-source SAFE Toolbox for sensitivity analysis, can be found at: safetoolbox.github.io.
Some short, non-technical account of my research interests and results can be found here:
- EOS Blog post on Urban landslides in an uncertain future (original Nature commentary)
- AXA XL White Paper on Pioneering catastrophe model evaluation with the SAFE toolbox
- EGU Blog post on EGU2022 Great Debate on Open Science
- HEPEX Blog post on The value of seasonal forecasts for water resources management
- Presentation on Why we need better handling of uncertainty in mathematical models (with focus on the (re)insurance and water sector)
- EGU Blog post on Hydrological modelling and pizza making
- EGU Blog post on "Quality through Equality" workshop
- EGU Blog post on All models are wrong, but...
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Cabot Institute Water Research
- Water resources management
- Sensitivity analysis
- 1 Similar Profiles
1/04/21 → 31/03/24
A mechanistic approach to include climate change and unplanned urban sprawl in landslide susceptibility mapsBozzolan, E., Holcombe, E. A., Pianosi, F., Marchesini, I., Alvioli, M. & Wagener, T., 1 Feb 2023, In: Science of The Total Environment. 858, Pt 1, 159412.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)47 Downloads (Pure)
Lee, Y., Peñuela, A., Pianosi, F. & Rico-Ramirez, M. A., 7 Jun 2023, In: International Journal of Climatology. 43, 11, p. 5092-5111 20 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen Access
Bloomfield, H., Hillier, J., Pianosi, F., James, R., Bates, P. D. & Griffin, A., 1 Mar 2023, In: Weather and Climate Extremes. 39, 15 p., 100550.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile19 Downloads (Pure)
Kupzig, J. (Creator), Reinecke, R. (Creator), Pianosi, F. (Creator) & Wagener, T. (Creator), Zenodo, 8 May 2023
Kupzig, J. (Creator), Reinecke, R. (Creator), Pianosi, F. (Creator) & Wagener, T. (Creator), Zenodo, 6 Feb 2023
Pianosi, Francesca (Recipient), 2015
Prize: Prizes, Medals, Awards and Grants
Doris Wendt (Advisor), Francesca Pianosi (Advisor), David M. Hannah (Advisor), John Bloomfield (Advisor), Josh Larsen (Advisor), Anne Van Loon (Advisor), Benedikt Heudorfer (Advisor) & Margaret Garcia (Advisor)7 Dec 2021
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Public talk, debate, discussion