Projects per year
My research focuses on population and health issues, incorporating theories and methods from human behavioural ecology and anthropology. Based on long-term fieldwork in South-Central Ethiopia I study recent changes in reproductive and parenting decision-making among Arsi Oromo agropastoralists. I also work on the social dynamics of normative practices which are harmful to women and girls. In particular, I am interested in identifying the individual and community factors which explain the persistence of female genital cutting/mutilation and intimate partner violence in high-risk communities.
I welcome research proposals, in particular within Human Behavioural Ecology, Evolutionary Anthropology, and Applied Anthropology.
Recently supervised student topics include:
- Testing evolutionary explanations for “harmful cultural traditions”
- Developing specialized survey techniques for measuring sensitive behaviour
- Socio-ecology of infectious disease in Uganda
- Human behavioural ecology of labour migration in Ethiopia
- Infant feeding practices in Somali-born women in Bristol
Structured keywords and research groupings
- International Development
- Cabot Institute Water Research
- Cabot Institute Food Security Research
- Cabot Institute Environmental Change Research
Gurmu, E., Scott, I. & Gibson, M. A.
1/12/15 → 30/11/17
1/10/11 → 30/09/17
Gibson, M. A., Madhivanan, P. & Placek, C., 18 Mar 2021, In: Nature Human Behaviour.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-review
Gibson, M. A., Lim, T. & Glikman, J. A., 24 May 2020, In: Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine. 16, 28
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile11 Downloads (Pure)
Gibson, M. A., 24 Apr 2020, In: Evolutionary Human Sciences. 2, e9.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile23 Downloads (Pure)