Projects per year
At the moment, I am working on three areas:
1. Professional and powerful perpetrators of sexual violence and abuse, and institutional harm:
- Interested in the relationship between authority and coercion and specifically how 'high status/high public trust' professionals perpetrate sexual violence and abuse, and how professional tribunals and panels respond. See this paper on doctor abuse, as an example.
- In November 2022, I was awarded a European Research Council Starting Grant (1.5m Euro, over 5 years) to further this work on professional perpetrators. This project runs from Autumn 2023 to Autumn 2028.
- Currently writing up research on police perpetrated domestic and sexual abuse (outputs 2024).
2. Intersections of sexual violence and harm with popular culture, technology or faith:
- Currently writing up research into non-consensual 'rough sex' (outputs 2024).
- Through 2021 and into 2022, I worked on an Oak Foundation funded project looking at faith and coercive control.
- Contributed to volumes on (i) coercive control and (ii) sex work in popular song.
- Currently developing work on AI and abuse (outputs 2024).
3. Sex industry
- Co-author of 2019 Home Office commissioned report on prostitution and sex work and recent book (2022).
- Lead a final year unit called' Sex Power and Consumption', which looks at the sex industry in the UK and globally.
- Academic adviser to the National Police Chiefs Council Sex Work Working Group since 2019.
- Associate Fellow of the Sexual Harms and Medical Encounters Group (SHaME) at Birkbeck University.
- Member of the Secrecy, Power & Ignorance research Network (SPIN), a collaboration of scholars focused on the power and politics of secrecy and ignorance.
- Member of the European Society of Criminology.
- Member of the European Consortium for Political Research.
Structured keywords and research groupings
- SPS Centre for Gender and Violence Research
- Sex Work
- Domestic Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Violence
- Honour Abuse
- Sexual Harm
- Sexual Exploitation
- Rough Sex
- Popular Culture
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/20 → 30/09/22
UK victim-survivor experiences of intimate partner spiritual abuse and religious coercive control and implications for practiceMulvihill, N., Aghtaie, N., Matolcsi, A. & Hester, M., 21 Jul 2022, In: Criminology and Criminal Justice. 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)114 Downloads (Pure)
Mulvihill, N., 30 May 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Social Science and Medicine. 305, 8 p., 115093.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile45 Downloads (Pure)