Research Output per year
Nikolaos Stylos is Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Marketing. An inter- and multi-disciplinary academic with extensive research activities in consumer behaviour, digital marketing communications, tourism marketing, as well as, environmental management and sustainability. Niko's main specialism is decision-making in tourism marketing and management.
Dr Stylos has a PhD in Business Administration (Marketing), an MBA degree, an MSc degree in Mechanical Reliability Engineering and a Post Graduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. He served as a professional management and technical consultant working out marketing management projects and energy/environmental studies in areas such as Textiles, General Trading, Health (clinics) and Beauty Industry for more than a decade. He has also contributed to new product development (NPD) for the Wineries & Spirits sector.
Niko has been nominated for his cutting-edge and inspirational style of teaching and he is recognised as a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Dr Stylos has an internationally recognised research profile and has given talks/presented at Universities in the UK, Spain, UAE, and Greece. He has gained research funding from British organisations, worked on EU funded projects and participates in international research consortia.
Decision-making in cross-cultural consumer behaviour, online consumer behaviour and human-computers interaction, digital marketing comms, 3D Printing (3DP), social media and relevant digital applications, tourism destinations marketing & management, sustainability marketing, sustainability in tourism & hospitality, management of renewable energy resources.
Dr Stylos has several 4* and 3* publications in top-tier international academic journals, including the top ones in digital marketing, tourism management and marketing, and sustainability, e.g. Tourism Management, Journal of Business Research, Computers in Human Behavior, Journal of Travel Research, Journal of Retailing & Consumer Services, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Tourism Recreation Research, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Journal of Cleaner Production.
The projects he is currently working on relate to contemporary marketing management and consumer behaviour challenges in decision-making, thus creating a long pipeline of innovative publications and impact case studies.
He also acts as a reviewer for the leading journals in these fields of research.
Dr Stylos is the Post Graduate Research Director (PhD studies) at School of Management, University of Bristol. He is also the founder and leader of the 'Smart Networks for Sustainable Futures' university-wide Research Group(http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fssl/research/groups/smart-networks-for-sustainable-futures/) since 2017. He also holds the role of Innovation & Digitalisation Interdisciplinary Research Theme Champion in the School of Management, University of Bristol, since June 2019. He previously founded and led the Marketing Science Laboratory (MaRS Lab) at Wolverhampton University.
He is currently supervising four exceptional PhD candidates.
Dr Stylos designed and directed the MSc Marketing programme (till November 2019), a highly innovative postgraduate programme. As programme director of MSc Marketing, he led the design of the programme’s three pathways/awards and 12 units. This resulted to a unique and highly successful specialist master’s in marketing programme with a proper coverage of state-of-the-art marketing knowledge.
- 2020, Title: Management of travellers' sentiment variations emerging from marketing managers' responses on Twitter during a crisis event, £4,540, GRF, University of Bristol, Lead investigator 50%.
- 2020, Title: The interplay among Environmental and Social Risk (ESG) initiatives, firm management and stock value, University of Bristol, £5,000, as Co-PI, 50%
- 2019, Title: How is 3D Printing changing lives?, The British Academy Summer Showcase 2019, value-in-kind support, 2019, as Co-PI, 50%
- 2019, Title: Exploring event organizers perceptions on co-creation and co-destruction: the case of Abu Dhabi, £25,000, Research Intensive Fund Zayed University (01/2019 – 12/2020), as Co-I.
- 2018, Title: 4D IRIDA Career Pathfinder, ESRC IAA Business Boost grants, £9,999, 2018-2019, as PI, 100%
- 2018, Title: 3D Printing: Democratisation or Mass Customisation?, British Academy Small Grants / Leverhulme, £10,000, 2018-2020, as Co-PI, 50%
- 2017, Title: Sustainability modelling and sharing Economy in Hospitality, Research Platform/Dept. Management University of Bristol, £3,356, 2017-2018, as PI, 100%
- 2016, Title: Exploring the city-circle bus sightseeing experience and its influence on tourists’ intentions to revisit urban tourism destinations, ERAS research scheme University of Wolverhampton, £5,000, 2016-2017, as PI, 100%
- 2010, Title: HESCAP: New generation, High Energy and power density Supercapacitor based energy storage system, European Union/FP7-Cooperation-Call identifier: FP7-ENERGY-2009-1, €2,298,764, 2010-2013, as Co-PI, 20%.
Dr Stylos holds the following roles:
- Associate Editor European Journal of Management and Business Economics
- Associate Editor Frontiers in Psychology: Organization Psychology section.
- Associate Editor Journal of Tourism Analysis: Revista de Análisis Turístico in the field of tourism marketing.
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights.
- External Examiner for PhD viva voci.
- External Examiner for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Marketing programmes in Middlesex University London and Dubai campuses.
- Project Evaluator for Research, Technological Development and Innovation Programmes of the Research Promotion Foundation in the Republic of Cyprus (large EU funded programmes).
- Project Evaluator for National Environment Research Council (NERC), UKRI Innovate UK.
- Project Evaluator for National Science Center, Poland.
For PhD applicants
PhD applications are more than welcome and selectively supported. Potential applicants are invited to send by email a draft proposal with their CV and evidence of their main qualifications attached.
External Examiner, Middlesex University1 Oct 2016 → 30 Sep 2020
Structured keywords and research groupings
- Smart Networks for Sustainable Futures
- Cabot Institute City Futures Research
- Cabot Institute Low Carbon Energy Research
- Cabot Institute Environmental Change Research
Commentary: Differences of Perceived Image Generated through the Web Site: Empirical Evidence Obtained in Spanish DestinationsAndronikidis, A., Bellou, V., Stylos, N. & Vassiliadis, C. A., 28 Apr 2020, In : Frontiers in Psychology. 11, 3 p., 735.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)
Destination atmospheric cues as key influencers of tourists’ word-of-mouth communication: tourist visitation at two Mediterranean capital citiesLoureiro, S. M. C., Stylos, N. & Bellou, V., 30 Jun 2020, In : Tourism Recreation Research. 25 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial (Academic Journal)
Activities per year