Projects per year
I am lecturer in education and co-director of the centre for Comparative and International Research in Education (CIRE) at the University of Bristol. My research focuses on schooling and school improvement in African and low- and middle-income countries, leadership and pedagogies for inclusive education, and inequalities in knowledge production in education.
I work with education practitioners and researchers around the world, and current collaborative projects include:
- Transforming Education for Sustainable Futures (TESF) – Co-Investigator leading the capacity mobilisation strand of this £4.75 mill Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) network which is supporting 65 projects led by researchers in Rwanda, Somalia/Somaliland, South Africa and India.
- Developing an indigenous model of school leadership in Botswana – Using indigenous research methods to explore the priorities, participation and influence of different stakeholder groups in Botswana schools, in collaboration with Professor Bolelang Pheko, Professor Bagela Chilisa and others.
- National study of the status of teaching Comparative and International Education in UK universities, with Dr Gurpinder Lalli and others.
- South-West Anti-Racist Education Forum – A collaboration between schools, universities and civil society organisations in Bristol and surrounding areas.
I have published widely in my field (see publications) and undertaken commissioned research and consultancies for international organisations, including UNESCO, IIEP-UNESCO, FAWE and others. I welcome requests for doctoral supervision and new research collaborations.
Academic Adviser, Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
15 Dec 2022 → …
Structured keywords and research groupings
- SoE Centre for Comparative and International Research in Education
- SoE Educational Futures Network
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Anti-Racist Education Forum
Mitchell, R., Rawlings, D. G., Walker, S., Paulson, J. & Glowach, T.
1/12/22 → 31/07/23
The status of Comparative International Education (CIE) in PG Education degrees
1/06/22 → 31/05/23
Developing an indigenous model of crisis-sensitive educational leadership in Botswana
Pheko, B. C. & Mitchell, R.
10/03/22 → 1/07/23
Peer support in sub-Saharan Africa: A critical interpretive synthesis of school-based researchMitchell, R., Jan 2023, In: International Journal of Educational Development. 96, 9 p., 102686.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile15 Downloads (Pure)
Education research in sub-Saharan Africa: Quality, visibility and agendasMitchell, R., Rose, P. & Asare, S., 1 Aug 2020, In: Comparative Education Review. 64, 3, p. 363-383 21 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile52 Downloads (Pure)
How equitable are South-North partnerships in education research? Evidence from sub-Saharan AfricaAsare, S., Mitchell, R. & Rose, P., 11 Sep 2020, In: Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education. 0, p. 1-28
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile11 Citations (Scopus)44 Downloads (Pure)