Projects per year
I was awarded a Future Leaders Fellowship by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) in 2020, enabling me to establish a research group at the University of Bristol that studies inherited genetic variation and uses this variation to investigate the causes and correlates of somatic and tumour genomic aberrations with the aim of informing the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of common cancers.
My group is also involved in the search for inherited genetic risk factors that are shared across some of the major hormone-related cancers -- specifically breast, prostate, and ovarian cancers -- and this aspect of our work was recently funded by a R01 grant from the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) on which I serve as one of three principal investigators (PIs), alongside PIs from the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles (Prof. Simon Gayther) and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston (Prof. Matthew Freedman).
I studied medicine at the Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College and trained at the Sassoon General Hospitals in Pune, India. I hold a Master of Public Health degree in epidemiology from the University of Texas at Houston in the US, where I was a Dean's Scholar and pursued graduate research training in genetics at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. I received my PhD in Public Health and Primary Care with a thesis on the genetic epidemiology of cancer in 2017 from the University of Cambridge in the UK as a Gates Cambridge Scholar and Homerton Junior Research Fellow. I have co-authored over 60 peer-reviewed original research articles on the genetic epidemiology of cancer that have collectively attracted over 3,500 citations, including several contributions in key authorship roles. I serve as a reviewer for major international biomedical research journals and am on the editorial board of ecancer-medical-science (www.ecancer.org), a journal focused on cancer research in under-resourced communities.
I also have a keen interest in health and science policy in India and my views in this area have appeared in The Lancet, Nature, The Hindu, and on NDTV. I maintain full registration as a doctor with the Delhi Medical Council.
Full publication and citation list available via Google Scholar at: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=WAXlOQ0AAAAJ
* indicates co-first or co-last author
† indicates corresponding author
18. Kar SP†*, Quiros PM†*, Gu M, Jiang T, Mitchell J, Langdon R, et al. Genome-wide analyses of 200,453 individuals yield new insights into the causes and consequences of clonal hematopoiesis. Nat Genet. 2022 Jul 14; doi: 10.1038/s41588-022-01121-z. PMID: 35835912 (open access)
17. Nameki R*, Shetty A*, Dareng E, Tyrer J, Lin X, Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium, Pharoah P, Corona RI, Kar S*, Lawrenson K†*. chromMAGMA: regulatory element-centric interrogation of risk variants. Life Sci Alliance. 2022 Jul 1;5(10):e202201446. PMID: 35777959 (open access)
16. Mortlock S†, Corona RI, Kho PF, Pharoah P, Seo J-H, Freedman ML, Gayther SA, ...7 authors..., Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium, International Endometriosis Genetics Consortium, Montgomery GW, Lawrenson K*, Kar SP*. A multi-level investigation of the genetic relationship between endometriosis and ovarian cancer histotypes. Cell Rep Med. 2022 Mar 15;3(3):100542. PMID: 35492879 PMCID: PMC9040176
15. Kar SP†*, Considine DPC*, Tyrer JP, Plummer JT, Chen S, Dezem FS, et al. Pleiotropy-guided transcriptome imputation from normal and tumor tissues identifies candidate susceptibility genes for breast and ovarian cancer. Hum Genet Genomics Adv. 2021 Jul 8;2(3):100042. PMID: 34317694 PMCID: PMC8312632
14. Considine DPC, Jia G, Shu X, Schildkraut JM, Pharoah PDP, Zheng W, and Kar SP† for the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium. Genetically predicted circulating protein biomarkers and ovarian cancer risk. Gynecol Oncol. 2021 Feb;160(2):506–13. PMID: 33246661 PMCID: PMC7855757
13. Kar SP†, Brenner H, Giles GG, Huo D, Milne RL, Rennert G, et al. Body mass index and the association between low-density lipoprotein cholesterol as predicted by HMGCR genetic variants and breast cancer risk. Int J Epidemiol. 2019 Oct 1;48(5):1727–30. PMID: 30929013 (open access)
12. Lawrenson K*, Song F*, Hazelett DJ*, Kar SP*, Tyrer J, Phelan CM, et al. Genome-wide association studies identify susceptibility loci for epithelial ovarian cancer in east Asian women. Gynecol Oncol. 2019 May;153(2):343–55. PMID: 30898391 PMCID: PMC6754211
11. Kar SP†, Andrulis IL, Brenner H, Burgess S, Chang-Claude J, Considine D, et al. The association between weight at birth and breast cancer risk revisited using Mendelian randomisation. Eur J Epidemiol. 2019 Jun;34(6):591–600. PMID: 30737679 PMCID: PMC6497616
10. Kar SP†, Berchuck A, Gayther SA, Goode EL, Moysich KB, Pearce CL, et al. Common genetic variation and susceptibility to ovarian cancer: Current insights and future directions. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2018 Apr;27(4):395–404. PMID: 28615364 (open access)
9. Michailidou K*, Lindström S*, Dennis J*, Beesley J*, Hui S*, Kar S*, et al. Association analysis identifies 65 new breast cancer risk loci. Nature. 2017 Nov 2;551(7678):92–4. PMID: 29059683 PMCID: PMC5798588
8. Kar SP. Addressing underlying causes of violence against doctors in India. Lancet. 2017 May 20;389:1979–80. PMID: 28534749
7. Phelan CM*, Kuchenbaecker KB*, Tyrer JP*, Kar SP*, Lawrenson K*, Winham SJ*, et al. Identification of 12 new susceptibility loci for different histotypes of epithelial ovarian cancer. Nat Genet. 2017 May;49(5):680–91. PMID: 28346442 PMCID: PMC5612337
6. Kar SP†, Adler E, Tyrer J, Hazelett D, Anton-Culver H, Bandera EV, et al. Enrichment of putative PAX8 target genes at serous epithelial ovarian cancer susceptibility loci. Br J Cancer. 2017 Feb 14;116(4):524–35. PMID: 28103614 PMCID: PMC5318969
5. Lawrenson K*, Kar S*, McCue K, Kuchenbaeker K, Michailidou K, Tyrer J, et al. Functional mechanisms underlying pleiotropic risk alleles at the 19p13.1 breast-ovarian cancer susceptibility locus. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12675. PMID: 27601076 PMCID: PMC5023955
4. Kar SP*†, Beesley J*, Amin Al Olama A*, Michailidou K*, Tyrer J*, Kote-Jarai Zs, et al. Genome-wide meta-analyses of breast, ovarian, and prostate cancer association studies identify multiple new susceptibility loci shared by at least two cancer types. Cancer Discov. 2016 Sep;6(9):1052–67. PMID: 27432226 PMCID: PMC5010513
3. Kar SP†, Tyrer JP, Li Q, Lawrenson K, Aben KKH, Anton-Culver H, et al. Network-based integration of GWAS and gene expression identifies a HOX-centric network associated with serous ovarian cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Oct;24(10):1574–84. PMID: 26209509 PMCID: PMC4592449
2. Kar SP, Seldin MF, Chen W, Lu E, Hirschfield GM, Invernizzi P, et al. Pathway-based analysis of primary biliary cirrhosis genome-wide association studies. Genes Immun. 2013 Apr;14(3):179–86. PMID: 23392275 PMCID: PMC3780793
1. Kar SP. Research funding: Indian science needs alternative investors. Nature. 2012 May 10;485(7397):174. PMID: 22575949
University of Cambridge
Award Date: 28 Jan 2017
The University of Texas at Houston, United States
Award Date: 4 May 2012
Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College, Pune, India
Award Date: 25 May 2009
- 1 Active
A multi-level investigation of the genetic relationship between endometriosis and ovarian cancer histotypesOvarian Cancer Association Consortium, International Endometriosis Genetics Consortium, 15 Mar 2022, In: Cell Reports Medicine. 3, 3, 21 p., 100542.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile12 Downloads (Pure)
Do sex hormones confound or mediate the effect of chronotype on breast and prostate cancer? A Mendelian randomization studyHayes, B., Robinson, T., Kar, S., Ruth, K. S., Tsilidis, K. K., Frayling, T., Murray, A., Martin, R. M., Lawlor, D. A. & Richmond, R. C., 21 Jan 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: PLoS Genetics. 34 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-review
Kar, S., 2 May 2022, In: Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Kar, Siddhartha (Recipient), 1 Oct 2020
Prize: Prizes, Medals, Awards and Grants