Projects per year
I have built on my veterinary training through active animal welfare research over the last 12 years. Recently, my main research theme has been improving animal welfare through farm assurance. I am the Scientific Verifier for the AssureWel project (www.assurewel.org), ensuring scientific validity of on-farm welfare assessments and independent data analysis for the commercial partner organisations in the collaboration. I am also involved in policy discussions at a range of levels across the farming sectors.
Projects I am currently involved in:
- AssureWel: Implementing welfare outcomes in assurance schemes to improve the welfare of farmed animals (funded by the Tubney Charitable Trust)
Training farm assurance assessors in laying hen welfare.
- Welfare Assessment of Vulnerable Horses in South Wales (funded by the Welsh Assembly Government)
- Partnerships in Extra-Mural Studies: adding value through welfare assessment (funded by the Animal Welfare Foundation)
- The Welfare of Equids throughout England and Wales (funded by World Horse Welfare)
Assessing the welfare of tethered horses.
- Implementation of welfare outcome assessments within the UK pig industry (funded by BPEX, the British Pig Executive)
Further information about Dr Siobhan Mullan can be found here.
1/09/18 → 31/08/21
1/09/18 → 31/08/21
Mullan, S., Takahashi, T., Monte, F. & Main, D., 2 Apr 2020, In : Animals. 10, 4, 13 p., 610.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open AccessFile45 Downloads (Pure)
Gender and job characteristics of slaughter industry personnel influence their attitudes to animal welfareWigham, E. E., Grist, A., Mullan, S. M., Wotton, S. B. & Butterworth, A., 1 Aug 2020, In : Animal Welfare. 29, 3, p. 313-322 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)
Rayner, A. C., Newberry, R., Vas, J. & Mullan, S. M., 16 Sep 2020, In : Scientific Reports. 10, 14 p., 15151 (2020).
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)Open AccessFile11 Downloads (Pure)