Projects per year
I am Professor of International Security and Director of the Global Insecurities Centre in SPAIS. Between 2015-19, I was founding Editor-in-Chief of the European Journal of International Security for Cambridge University Press and the British International Studies Association (BISA). I am also Co-Director of the SafeSeas Network. My work addresses issues of security sector reform, civil-military relations and capacity building, with a recent focus on the maritime environment. My current research focuses on responses to transnational organised crime at sea. I have published on these themes in journals including Area, Marine Policy Cooperation and Conflict, International Affairs, Survival, Armed Forces and Society, Europe-Asia Studies, and the Journal of Democracy, and authored or edited ten books. These include Capacity Building for Maritime Security: The Western Indian Ocean Experience (2020), British Foreign Policy and the National Interest (2014), Out of Step: The Case for Change in the British Armed Forces (2007), and Security Sector Reform in Transforming Societies (2007).
Current and recent grants
- ESRC (ES/S008810/1), Transnational Organised Crime at Sea: New Evidence for Better Responses, £433,336. Principle Investigator. 1 Jan. 2019-31 Dec. 2021.
- British Academy (GF160017), Safe Seas: A Study of Maritime Capacity Building in the Western Indian Ocean, £264,414. Co-Investigator. November 2016-March 2018.
- Horizon 2020, Preventing and Responding to Conflict: Developing EU Civilian Capabilities for a Sustainable Peace (EU-CIVCAP), €1,714,976. Co-Investigator. December 2015-November 2018.
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship for Dr Filip Ejdus, Local Ownership in EU Security Sector Reform Missions, €183,455. Principle Investigator. October 2015-September 2017.
- ESRC (ES/L012944/1), Keeping Enough in Reserve: The Employment of Hybrid Citizen-Soldiers and the Future Reserves 2020 Programme, Co-I with Woodward, R. Higate, P. and Jenkins, N. £296,620. March 2014-March 2018.
- Bueger, C. Edmunds, T and McCabe, R (eds). Capacity Builiding for Maritme Security: The Western Indian Ocean Experience (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2020).
- Edmunds T. Gaskarth J. and Porter, R.(eds) British Foreign Policy and the National Interest: Identity, Strategy and Security (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2014).
- Edmunds T. and Forster A. Out of Step: The Case for Change in the British Armed Forces (London: Demos, November 2007).
- Edmunds, T. Security Sector Reform in Transforming Societies: Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2007).
- Edmunds, T. Cottey, A. and Forster, A. (eds) Civil-Military Relations in Postcommunist Europe: Reviewing the Transition (London: Routledge, 2006).
- Edmunds, T and Malešič, M. (eds) Defence Transformation in Europe: Evolving Military Roles (Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2005).
- Edmunds, T. Defence Reform in Croatia and Serbia-Montenegro , Adelphi Paper 360 (Oxford: International Institute for Strategic Studies and Oxford University Press, 2003).
- Edmunds, T. and Germann, G. Towards Security Sector Reform in Post-Cold War Europe: A Framework for Assessment (Baden-Baden: NOMOS-Verlagsgesellschaft, 2003).
- Forster, A. Edmunds, T. and Cottey, A. (eds) Soldiers and Societies in Postcommunist Europe: Legitimacy and Change (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2003).
- Forster, A. Edmunds, T. and Cottey A. (eds) The Challenge of Military Reform in Postcommunist Europe: Building Professional Armed Forces (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2002).
- Cottey, A. Edmunds, T. and Forster, A. (eds) Democratic Control of the Military in Postcommunist Europe: Guarding the Guards (Basingstoke: Palgrave Press, 2002).
Journal articles (selected)
- Bueger, C. and Edmunds, T. 'Blue Crime: Conceptualising Transnational Organised Crime at Sea', Marine Policy, forthcoming 2020. (Pre-print at link).
- Woodward, R. Dawes, A. Edmunds, T. Higate, P. and Jenkings, K.N. 'The Possibilities and Limits of Impact and Engagement in Research on Military Instutions'. 2020.
- Bueger, C. Edmunds, T. and McCabe, R. 'Into the Sea: Capacity Building Innovations and the Maritime Security Challenge', Third World Quarterly, 41 :2 (2020).
- Edmunds, T. and Juncos, A.E. 'Constructing the Capable State: Contested Discourses and Pracitces in EU Capacity Building', Cooperation and Conflict, 55: 1 (2020).
- Bueger, C. Edmunds, T. and Ryan, B. 'Maritime Security: The Uncharted Politics of the Global Sea' International Affairs, 95: 5 (2019).
- Edmunds, T, Juncos, A.E. and Algar-Faria, G. 'EU Local Capacity Building: Complexity, Ownership and Agency', Global Affairs, 4: 2 (2018).
- Higate, P. Edmunds, T, Jenkings, K.N, Woodward, R & Dawes, A. 'Militarisation, Stigma and Resistance: Negotiating Military Reservist Identity in the Civilian Workplace', Critical Military Studies, forthcoming 2020. Online first 10 January 2019
- Bueger C. and Edmunds T. 'Beyond Seablindness: A New Agenda for Maritime Security Studies', International Affairs, 93:6, 2017.
- Edmunds, T, Higate, P, Jenkings, K.N., Woodward, R & Dawes, A, 2016, ‘Reserve Forces and the Transformation of British Military Organisation: Soldiers, Citizens and Society’. Defence Studies, vol 16.
- Edmunds, T. Complexity, Strategy and the National Interest, International Affairs, 90: 3, May 2014.
- Edmunds, T. Gaskarth, J. and Porter, R. British Foreign Policy and the National Interest, International Affairs, 90: 3, May 2014.
- Edmunds, T. British Civil-Military Relations and the Problem of Risk, International Afffairs, 88: 2, March 2012.
- Edmunds, T. The Defence Dilemma in Britain, International Affairs, 86: 2, March 2010.
- Edmunds, T. Illiberal Resilience in Serbia, Journal of Democracy, 20: 1, January 2009.
- Edmunds, T. Adapting to Democracy: Reflections on "Transition" in Serbia and the Western Balkans, Western Balkans Security Observer, No. 7-8 (October 2007 - March 2008).
- Edmunds, T. Intelligence Agencies and Democratisation: Continuity and Change in Serbia after Milošević, Europe-Asia Studies, 60: 1 2008.
- Edmunds, T. What Are Armed Forces For? The Changing Nature of Military Roles in Europe, International Affairs, 82: 5 November 2006.
- Edmunds, T. Civil-Military Relations in Serbia-Montenegro: An Army in Search of a State, European Security, 14: 1 March 2005.
- Edmunds, T. and Bellamy, A. Civil-Military Relations in Croatia: Politicisation and Politics of Reform, European Security, 14: 1 March 2005.
- Cottey, A. Edmunds, T. and Forster, A. Civil-Military Relations in Postcommunist Europe: Assessing the Transition, European Security, 14: 1 March 2005. With Andrew Cottey and Anthony Forster.
- Edmunds, T. NATO and its New Members, Survival 45: 3 Autumn 2003.
- Edmunds, T. A Turning Point in Yugoslavia's Civil-Military Relations, Defence Studies, 3: 2 Summer 2003.
- Edmunds, T. Political Conditionality and Security Sector Reform in Postcommunist Europe, Conflict Security and Development, 3: 1 2003.
- Cottey, A. Edmunds, T. and Forster, A. The Second Generation Problematic: Rethinking Democracy and Civil-Military Relations, Armed Forces and Society, 29: 1 Fall 2002.
- Cottey, A. Edmunds, T. and Forster, A. Military Matters: Beyond Prague, NATO Review, 50: 3 October 2002.
- Edmunds, T. Promoting Democratic Control of Armed Forces in Central and Eastern Europe, Defence Studies, 1: 1 2001.
- Edmunds, T. 'Searching for a Nationalism: Foci for Kazakh Identity in the 1990's', Central Asia Monitor, No.2 2000.
- Edmunds T. Power and Powerlessness in Kazakhstani Society: Ethnic Problems in Perspective, Central Asian Survey, 17: 3 1998.1
Other Publications (selected)
- ‘Reserve Forces as the “Privatization” of the Military by the Nation State’ (with KN Jenkings, A. Dawes, P. Higate and R. Woodward), in Ori Swed and Thomas Crosbie (eds), The Sociology of Privatized Security (Basingstoke, Palgrave: 2019).
- Mastering Maritime Security: Reflexive Capacity Building and the Western Indian Ocean Experience, Safe Seas Best Practice Toolkit (March 2018). With Christian Bueger.
- Maritime Capacity Building in the Horn of Africa: States of Somalia, EU-CIVCAP Working Paper No. 1 (May 2017).
- Evaluating International Efforts on Local Capacity Building, EU-CIVCAP Policy Paper 6.1 (May 2017).
- ‘Security Sector Reform’, in Thomas Bruneau and Florina Christiana Matei (eds) The Routledge Handbook of Civil-Military Relations (Abingdon: Routledge, 2012).
- Maritime Security Sector Reform: Lessons from the Mainstream, Working Paper for the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia, Auguest 2014.
- ‘Informal Institutions of Political Participation in the Serbian Security Sector’, in Denisa Kostovicova and Vesna Bojicic-Dzelilovic (eds), Persistent State Weakness in the Global Age, (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2009).
- ‘Security Sector Reform: Concepts and Implementation’, in Wilhelm Germann and Timothy Edmunds (eds), Towards Security Sector Reform in Post-Cold War Europe: A Framework for Assessment (Baden-Baden: NOMOS-Verlagsgesellschaft, 2003). [Also published as ‘Security Sector Reform: Concepts and Implementation’ in Philipp Fluri & Miroslav Hadžić (eds), Sourcebook on Security Sector Reform (Geneva: Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces, 2004) and as ‘Security Sector Reform: Concepts and Implementation’, DCAF Working Paper no. 86 (Geneva: Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces, 2002)].
Structured keywords and research groupings
- International Development
- Security Studies
- Maritime Security
- Security Sector Reform
- Capacity Building
- Civil-Military Relations
1/01/19 → 31/12/21
Edmunds, T. P. & Bueger, C.
1/01/19 → 31/12/21
Research Output per year
Research output: Other contribution
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article (Academic Journal)
Activities per year
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis › Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)