A mismatch in care: results of a United Kingdom-wide patient and clinician survey of gynaecological services for women with Lynch syndrome

Naj Ryan, M Nobes, D Sedgewick, S-N Teoh, D G Evans, E J Crosbie

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle (Academic Journal)peer-review

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To describe the current testing practice, referral pathways and gynaecological services available to women with Lynch syndrome (LS) in the UK.

DESIGN: Cross-sectional nationwide survey of gynaecological oncologists and women with LS.

SETTING: United Kingdom.

METHODS: Gynaecological oncologists were contacted directly. Women with LS were identified from national and regional clinical databases and the patient support group, Lynch syndrome UK.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Gynaecological oncologists were asked to report rates of LS testing and current practice regarding risk-reducing strategies and gynaecological surveillance for women with LS. Women with LS were asked to describe their experiences of gynaecological care.

RESULTS: In total, 41 gynaecological oncologists and 298 women with LS responded to the survey. Of the gynaecological oncologists surveyed, 37% were unfamiliar with any clinical guidelines for the management of LS. Only 29% of gynaecological oncologists supported universal testing of endometrial cancer for LS; one centre routinely performed such testing. In all, 83% said they perform risk-reducing gynaecological surgery and 43% were aware of a local gynaecological surveillance service for women with LS. Of women with LS, most had undergone a hysterectomy (n = 191/64.1%), most frequently to reduce their gynaecological cancer risk (n = 86/45%). A total of 10% were initially referred for LS testing by their gynaecologist and 55% of those eligible regularly attended gynaecological surveillance; however, 62% wanted more regular surveillance. Regional variation was evident across all standards of care.

CONCLUSIONS: There is widespread variation in the services offered to women with LS in the UK. As a community, gynaecological oncologists should move towards a nationally agreed provision of services.

TWEETABLE ABSTRACT: A mismatch in care for mismatch repair. Survey finds significant variation in gynaecological care for #Lynchsyndrome in the UK.

Original languageEnglish
JournalBJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Early online date29 Jul 2020
DOIs
Publication statusE-pub ahead of print - 29 Jul 2020

Cite this