An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report

James Puryer, Catherine McNamara, Jonathan Sandy, Anthony Ireland

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle (Academic Journal)peer-review

477 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

Accidental ingestion or inhalation of foreign bodies has been widely documented, including incidents which occur whilst undertaking dental treatment. Most ingested objects pass through the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) spontaneously, but approximately 10%–20% need to be removed endoscopically and 1% require surgery. This case reports a complication arising from the accidental loss of an archwire fragment during maxillary archwire placement. It describes the immediate and subsequent management, including the use of radiographs to track the passage of the fragment through the gastro-intestinal tract. This case stresses the vigilance that dentists must take to prevent inhalation or ingestion of foreign bodies and the consequences of time-delays when management decisions are needed.
Original languageEnglish
Article number24
Number of pages8
JournalDentistry Journal
Volume4
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Aug 2016

Keywords

  • orthodontic
  • wire
  • fragment
  • ingested

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this