Archaeological Excavations (BCP Tr.5) conducted at the foot of Edward Jenner's garden uncovered two burials adjacent to and inside the south garden wall. It is postulated that the burials are of late Saxon or Saxo-Norman origin. The burials were probably associated with an Anglo-Saxon nunnery/minster, recorded historically as having been founded c.883 and demolished c.1043. Sources suggest that the nunnery chapel stood adjacent to the site where the two burials were unearthed. The burial cuts appear to have been truncated when the area was levelled and a cobbled floor was built over the site before the late 12th or early 13th century.
|Publisher||Edward Jenner Museum|
|Commissioning body||Edward Jenner Museum|
|Number of pages||48|
|Publication status||Unpublished - 2007|