A scalable mechanical metamaterial simultaneously displaying negative stiffness and negative Poisson's ratio responses is presented. Interlocking hexagonal subunit assemblies containing 3 alternative embedded negative stiffness (NS) element types display Poisson's ratio values of –1 and NS values over two orders of magnitude (–1.4 N mm−1 to –160 N mm−1), in good agreement with model predictions.
- mechanical metamaterial
- negative stiffness
- negative Poisson’s ratio
- mechanical properties
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'Double-Negative Mechanical Metamaterials Displaying Simultaneous Negative Stiffness and Negative Poisson’s Ratio Properties'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- Department of Aerospace Engineering - Professor of Smart Materials & Structures
- Cabot Institute for the Environment
- The Bristol Centre for Nanoscience and Quantum Information
- Composites University Technology Centre (UTC)
- Bristol Composites Institute (ACCIS)
Person: Academic , Member