Implant-supported facial prostheses provided by a maxillofacial unit in a UK regional hospital:longevity and patient opinions

SM Hooper, T Westcott, PL Evans, AP Bocca, DC Jagger

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle (Academic Journal)peer-review

67 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to acquire information on the types and longevity of implant-retained facial prostheses and the opinions of patients on several factors related to their prostheses. Copyright 2005 by The American College of Prosthodontists MATERIALS AND METHODS: A survey of 75 maxillofacial prosthetic patients currently under treatment and review at the Maxillofacial Unit, Morriston Regional Hospital was conducted through a 23-question postal questionnaire. These patients were selected as representative of a group of individuals receiving treatment or under review for the fabrication of maxillofacial prostheses. Copyright 2005 by The American College of Prosthodontists RESULTS: Of the prosthetic replacements, 83% were ear prostheses, 8% nose, 6% eye, and 2% combination prostheses. Of the 47 respondents, 8 (17%) reported that they were currently wearing their original prostheses. The remaining 39 (83%) respondents had all been provided with at least 1 replacement prosthesis. The mean lifetime of the prostheses was found to be 14 months (range: 4-36 months). The majority of replacement prostheses in this study were provided as a result of color fade or wear of the silicone material of the previous prosthesis. Individuals with no previous experience wearing a prosthesis had an unrealistic expectation of their prosthesis longevity, with a mean value of 17.8 months. In comparison, individuals with previous experience had reduced expectations, with a mean of 14.4 months. In terms of the patients' opinions of the overall quality of their prostheses, the results demonstrated that a large number of patients were satisfied. Thirty-five patients rated their prostheses as excellent and 9 as good. At 7-12 months, 4 patients rated their prostheses as excellent and 8 as good. At 13 months, 4 patients rated their prostheses as excellent and 5 as good. Copyright 2005 by The American College of Prosthodontists CONCLUSIONS: It is important that advice be given to patients on the expected average longevity of their prostheses, together with information on factors affecting the longevity (i.e., environmental staining, cosmetics, and cleaning regimes). In this study, 26% of the replacement prostheses were provided due to color fading of the original prosthesis. This highlights the need for continuing research in the development of materials used for the construction of facial prostheses with improved properties, and in particular, improved color stability. Copyright 2005 by The American College of Prosthodontists
Translated title of the contributionImplant-supported facial prostheses provided by a maxillofacial unit in a UK regional hospital:longevity and patient opinions
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)32 - 38
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Prosthodontics
Volume14
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2005

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Implant-supported facial prostheses provided by a maxillofacial unit in a UK regional hospital:longevity and patient opinions'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this