We developed a multiplex PCR assay capable of identifying two capsular polysaccharide synthesis sequence types (sequence type 258 [ST258] cps-1 and cps-2) in epidemic Klebsiella pneumoniae ST258 strains. The assay performed with excellent sensitivity (100%) and specificity (100%) for identifying cps types in 60 ST258 K. pneumoniae sequenced isolates. The screening of 419 ST258 clonal isolates revealed a significant association between cps type and K. pneumoniae carbapenemase (KPC) variant: cps-1 is largely associated with KPC-2, while cps-2 is primarily associated with KPC-3.
- Anti-Bacterial Agents
- Bacterial Capsules
- Bacterial Proteins
- DNA, Bacterial
- Drug Resistance, Bacterial
- Klebsiella pneumoniae
- Microbial Sensitivity Tests
- Molecular Sequence Data
- Molecular Typing
- Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Journal Article
- Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
- Research Support, N.I.H., Intramural
- Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.